As a parent of an ASD child, you might have had to spend hours and hours on the internet trying to filter through reliable and trustworthy resources that deal with everyday challenges and issues related to ASD. This can end up feeling like an overwhelming or even a never-ending task due to the vast amount of information available online on any given topic.
iSmartmoms brings you a compilation of resources for parenting, treatment, detecting early signs, everyday tips, and much more that you can access in one go!
IS YOUR CHILD ON THE SPECTRUM?
Autism experts and advocates stress the importance of early detection of Autism. Early detection ensures early treatment which is important because the younger the child, the more adaptable his/her brain will be.
As a parent, you need to be aware of exactly what developmental delays and signs to look for in your child. While learning how to identify these signs is important, it is in no way a substitute for getting a diagnosis or assessment done by a medical professional.
- Common Developmental and Behavioral Issues in Children by Dr. Archana Kadam on iSmartmoms
- Learn the Signs of Autism on Autism Speaks
- Learning the Signs of Autism the Importance of Acting Early on Autism Society
THE ABC OF PARENTING A CHILD ON THE SPECTRUM
After the child’s diagnosis, you might find yourself playing multiple roles like that of a teacher, a caregiver, and a therapist to their child. Finding the right balance in managing these complicated responsibilities takes time and practice. Here are some resources that might guide you in the right direction –
- Tips for Parents & Caregivers on Surreyplace
- A Brief Parent Guide on Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD): Information for Parents of School-Age Children on Vanderbilt Kennedy Center
- A Parent’s Guide to Autism: Family Support Tool Kit on Autism Speaks
AUTISM AND EVERYDAY LIFE
Autism alters every aspect of an individual’s life in one way or another. Extra care, as well as, caution is needed to help your child get through the important phases of his/her life, nourish his/her relationship with siblings, look after his/her safety, find the right school, and manage challenging behavioral patterns. We have listed a few resources that might provide you with useful tips helpful in dealing with these situations –
- The ABC of Inclusive Schools on iSmartmoms
- Challenging Behaviors Tool kit on Autism Speaks
- Sibling Perspectives: Guidelines for Parents on Autism Society
- Puberty and children on the Autism Spectrum on Autism Society
- Life Journey Through Autism: A Guide to Safety on Organization for Autism Research
ASSESSMENT AND TREATMENT
As a parent of a special needs child, it is important to be aware of not only the available treatment and therapy options, but also their scientific basis, so that they can make the best possible decision while choosing a treatment plan for their child. We bring you resources that’ll give you a low-down on all things assessment, treatment, and evidence-based practice related.
- A Short Guide to Diagnostic ASD Tests on iSmartmoms
- Life Journey Through Autism: A Parent’s Guide to Assessment on Organization for Autism Research
- Life Journey Through Autism: A Parent’s Guide to Research on Organization for Autism Research
- A Parent’s Guide to Evidence-Based Practice and Autism on National Autism Center
Don’t forget to check out our blog where we talk about various online courses specifically designed for parents/caregivers of ASD children that equip them with the necessary tools and understanding needed to deal with the unique challenges that come along with autism!